Monday, May 26, 2008

Seedlings!


So in a previous entry about gardening, I had mentioned that I am scared of planting from seeds. I always use starts for my garden. (Well, not totally true... one year I did have good luck with peas and beans, but I didn't thin them out enough and there was some definite overcrowding.)

Anyway... behind all our veggies, we planted a row of sunflowers. I couldn't find any starts so I just picked up a packet of seeds and thought we'd hope for the best. I figured it was a couple of bucks... if they didn't sprout, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Well... imagine my surprise when I looked out the bathroom window and saw the sunflower seedlings, popped through the soil!! I can't even begin to describe how excited I was! We succeeded! YAY! I think that even if they were to die at this point, I'd still be happy, just knowing I got them to sprout successfully. Supposedly, these are the variety that can grow to 10 feet tall and 2 feet across! I believe I planted them on or about the 13th, so the growth seen above took less than 2 weeks. I'm so happy!

Mike also added to the garden this week... he put in a strawberry plant, raspberry bush, and he put my basil plant in the ground. I'm excited for some yummy things in a few months. Here is how the garden is looking as of yesterday:


No comments:

Post a Comment