Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Portuguese kale & potato soup

I made a huge pot of soup tonight. It was to-die-for! (If I do say so myself, anyway!) It was called Portuguese kale & potato soup. I got it from Chef Keith Snow of HarvestEating.com I really like that website and I've seen him make a lot of recipes. In fact, I found this particular one on a page with nothing but soups listed. Soup is such a great food for wintertime. The original recipe calls for chorizo but I substituted linguica so that the kids could eat it. Chorizo is too spicy for them. I made another loaf of my homemade bread and it went very well with the soup. If you've ever had the zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden, this was very close to that. Kale is such a healthy vegetable and it was great to find a nice way to incorporate it into our eating. I will definitely be making this soup again!

Here is the recipe, courtesy of HarvestEating.com:

Portuguese Kale & Potato Soup Recipe
Chef Keith Snow.
Name: Portuguese Kale & Potato Soup Recipe
Description: Learn how to make a delicious comfort food soup with spicy chorizo sausage.
Ingredients: 1-1/2 cups chorizo sausage (substitute Lincuica sausage if need be)
3 russet potatoes
5 cups kale, chopped
1 quart chicken stock
3 cups water
kosher salt
black pepper
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Directions: Cook chorizo sausage over medium heat to well browned, drain on paper towels and set aside.

1. In a large soup pot over medium heat add oil, garlic and onions, saute for 5 minutes.
2. Season with salt and pepper
3. Add chicken broth, 2 potatoes and kale then cover and cook for 25 minutes until potatoes are soft.
4. Mash potatoes up, then add 3 cups water, season with salt and pepper, add previously cooked chorizo and diced potatoes. Cook for 15 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment