Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Time Out For Women! (Part II)


Emily Freeman gave a presentation about abundance. Her talk was about learning to lower our buckets and recognize the abundance around us. Some points she made:

~Remember to write down the miracles in our lives. (I LOVE journaling, so this is not a problem for me!) ~There is nothing more important than a testimony of Jesus Christ.

~Have personal scripture study. When we study the scriptures, we should ask ourselves, "What if this was my story?" How would the story look if we put ourselves in it?

Emily's three principles of abundance:


1. Making the most of what we have to offer. There are ordinary miracles in our everyday lives. A season of gratitude always comes before a season of giving. (Example: It is no coincidence that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas.) Alma 26:16 which reads:
16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.
2. Learn to be content. Abundance can come from the simplest offerings. Be content with the Lord's offerings. Emily shared a story about her son. When he was very small (I can't remember how old, but I am thinking just 6 or 7 years old), he was diagnosed with diabetes. She tells about how absolutely dark that year was. At one point, she sat down on her kitchen floor and wept. She talked about how she found the Savior during this time and how he helped her through the darkness. She said she was profoundly depressed for about a year prior to this. But through the healing of the Savior was able to come through it a better person. She referred the audience to Matthew 11. Matthew 11:28-30 is one of my favorite scripture passages. And it also reminds me of one of my favorite songs by the vocal group Take 6. Appropriately, it's titled "Come Unto Me."
28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
3. Giving our all. Emily shared the parable of the Loaves & Fishes. Although there were only five loaves and two fishes, the Savior was able to take that complete offering and add unto it and make it enough with some to spare. John 6:12-13 says:
12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost
13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.
She shared that her mother always talked about the "Be there" principle. It meant that you were always there... you were always giving... you could always be counted on... and you were always on the Lord's errand. We can follow these three principles, but the miracle will not happen until we invite the Savior in. John 10:10 says:
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Christ is the abundance. The Giver of every good gift has given us enough... and some to spare.


The other two speakers were Kim Nelson and Kris Belcher, both of whom gave excellent presentations. However, I was so engrossed that I was unable to take notes very well.

The weekend was amazing and I'm so glad that I went and had my spiritual cup filled.
I was able to get Hilary Weeks' new CD and a book by Emily Freeman called 21 Days Closer To Christ. It's an absolutely amazing book and since I have begun reading it, my life is richer and fuller. I feel blessed beyond measure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment