Friday, May 22, 2009

Broken

I've had several moments over the past week or so that seemed to carry the theme of "broken" with them. When I say "broken", I mean that they have been moments that have been painful or upsetting, such as the sweet baby we lost in our hospital over the weekend. I found this video online and it blew me away and just really sang to my heart. I don't think I'll ever look at broken things the same, ever again. I'm always looking for ways to turn negatives into positives. Surely this is one way. I had no idea how many times the root word "break" is mentioned with regard to positive things. As the song suggests, broken clouds give us rain, the ground breaks to let it in, broken seeds give us wheat for the bread that we break and eat. It also reminded me that the Lord has invited us to come unto Him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. What a beautiful concept.

I also wanted to share a link to a blog entry I read some time ago by Angie Smith. If you really want a good read, I suggest Angie's blog. She has chronicled her experience with losing her daughter shortly after her birth from congenital anomalies. Some time after that experience, she tells the story about how she heard the Lord tell her to break a pitcher and then put it back together again. I could never do it justice, but you can read it here. This story moved me like no other. Angie's blog is titled "Bring the Rain", which speaks about how she welcomes the rain and the challenges and the hard times because they are the experiences which bring her closer to the Lord. What an example she is to me. I have her blog linked in my list of blogs I read.

I pray that I can remember to look at broken things with an eternal perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment