Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A trip to the dentist

Poor Evan had to go to the dentist this morning. I felt so bad for him. His appointment was at 7:30am. I got him out of bed at 7am and he was in a daze, asking me why I was bothering him. I gave him hugs and kisses and got him dressed. Then Mike came and attempted to give him a blessing but he was angry and refused. So he said a prayer that all would go well. I've been nervous about him going because I knew they would give him oral medications that would make him very sleepy. It's anesthesia... on a 4-year-old. But I'm grateful for the priesthood and the power of prayer. As I was driving down the road with him, I felt the Holy Ghost speak to my heart that indeed, all would be well and I had nothing to fear. I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost and the difference it makes in my life. I was able to sit peacefully in the waiting room, assured in my heart that all would go well.

When we got in the car, Evan asked, "So where are we going?!" I finally had to break it to him that we were going to the dentist and he melted. He started crying and was so upset and it made me sad. He wanted nothing to do with it and just kept saying, "I'm NOT going to the dentist." Even bribes of post-dental milkshakes did not help. I reminded him that he has a tooth that has been hurting and the dentist would fix it. I had to nearly peel him out of the car once we got there but he went in and got quiet. We waited about 15 minutes and then they gave him the medication. I was thankful because although I'm sure it relaxed him enough for them to do the work, it didn't seem to slow him down at all to me. He was still wide awake.

He passed the time watching Garfield on the TV and messing with the lamp in the waiting room. He wasn't interested in the toys or books. And then they took him back. They gave me the choice of going with him or staying. I felt as though I should stay. They told me they'd get me if they needed my help. I was comfortable with that. I decided on that based on the day's earlier experience of trying to get the medications down him. He refused to take any of the meds (all liquid or chewable) with me present. As soon as I left, the dentist said he was dramatic but did take it down.

He got done sooner than I had expected. He has a silver cap on the back bottom left molar and a filling in the back upper left molar. He was a little tiny bit unsteady on his feet, but otherwise awake and cooperative. He seemed happy with his little bag of toys he got and when we got into the car, he said, "I'm going back there for the rest of my life! They gave me a shot that made my teeth go to sleep." So cute! As promised, we headed over to Jack-in-the-Box for a vanilla milkshake (the only place to get one at 9am!) and then we went home so daddy could get to work.

No one in the office mentioned anything about pain or what to expect. I didn't think a cap would hurt all that much. A few hours later, Evan said, "My gray tooth hurts." I figured it was just tender. But within a half hour, he was screaming, crying, and writhing in pain and it absolutely crushed me. So I packed up the kids and we went and got two homeopathics (arnica and hypericum) as well as some children's ibuprofen. With all three of those in his system, he is a completely different and happy child and says his tooth has quit hurting.

And to think... we get to go back in a month and do this again! Oh joy! Well, it really shouldn't be so bad because we will just be getting fillings and no caps. It was the capped tooth that really hurt him.

I've GOT to get him to use the tooth soap to brush his teeth with. I just ordered some in black cherry and passion flavors. A little goes a long way and I think if I can just get him to brush with that, it will help him reenamalize his teeth better. Obviously he has soft teeth because he and Ethan eat the same things (actually he eats BETTER than Ethan) and while he needs four fillings and a crown, Ethan's carb-addicted teeth are perfect and cavity-free. Ethan got my teeth; at age 36 I STILL only have 2 cavities in my mouth. Evan didn't get so lucky. Anyway, I know the tooth soap is better for his mouth than the paste. I need him to stay away from fluoride. Our own two children are living proof that fluoride is NOT the difference... it's more genetics than anything else. If fluoride were the issue, then Ethan's teeth would be as bad as Evan's. I've done a massive amount of research on tooth care and I really do think that the tooth soap is the way to go. I think I just need to use a smaller amount than I was before and they will be more cooperative. I personally think that using plain water and a toothbrush is actually better than using fluoride toothpaste. And I find it interesting that the tube of toothpaste says:

"Warnings. Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away."
Really? It says poison control center and it says right away. Why on earth do we continue to put poison into our children's mouths and not think about this? Nearly ALL children in this country have access to toothpaste. They either get it because their parents purchase it or because the dentist gives it to them or because they can get it with welfare dollars. If that is the case, why are children's mouths in such bad shape? I'd say the cause is far more related to diet than it is to toothpaste. For heaven's sake... fluoride is the main ingredient in rat poison. No thanks. Besides, humans lived for thousands of years without fluoride. Yes, some of them had tooth decay (but I don't think as many as some would believe... ancient human skulls have been found with totally intact and healthy teeth.) Like I said, I need to start getting them to use the tooth soap. It cleans VERY well. Okay... enough of my rant for today. Here are a few pictures of the office and Evan entertaining himself by watching TV and messing with the lamp in the waiting room.




No comments:

Post a Comment